Bear and Frog totem at Totem Park. Blackfish and Bear toem in the background.Hydaburg was established in 1911 by Haida people from three villages. In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) created Hydaburg Park, and several other similar parks in Southeast Alaska. CCC workers brought poles to these parks from other locations. The government then hired local Haida workers to restore these totems. When restoration was not possible, replicas were carved. Twenty-one poles were brought to Hydaburg, five of which were able to be restored. The remaining 16 were replicated between 1939 and 1942. One carved stone figure was also moved to the park. Master carver John Wallace led the Haida carvers in their work in the 1930s, even though Wallace was in his eighties.