Name(s): MacDonald, George F.
Description: Formerly owned by the wife of Tsimshian Chief Seeks (Seks), this item was collected by Frederick Landsberg in Victoria at an unknown date. Purchased by George Heye in 1905. Created ca. 1880.
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Base of the Raven Totem Pole, Chief Shake's family totem pole. It dignified a living son, and commemorates one dead. Erected in 1896, The pole stood for 82 years until falling down in a windstorm in 1978.
Date: 1967
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Chief Shakes' raven totem pole. It dignified a living son, and commemorates one dead one. Erected in 1896, The pole stood for 82 years until falling down in a windstorm in 1978. It is unclear if the base figure is carved with a labrette or if it has its tounge proturding.
Date: 1967
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Chief Shakes' raven totem pole with tounge or labrette
Date: 1967
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Raven Totem Pole, Chief Shake's family totem pole. It dignified a living son, and commemorates one dead. Erected in 1896, The pole stood for 82 years until falling down in a windstorm in 1978.
Date: 1967
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Raven Totem Pole, Chief Shake's family totem pole. It dignified a living son, and commemorates a dead son. Erected in 1896, The pole stood for 82 years until falling down in a windstorm in 1978.
Date: 1980 to 1985
Name(s): MacDonald, George F.
Description: Bill Reid Pole raised at Skidegate Band Office in 1978
Date: 1967
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Base of a house support post. The carved figure appears to be a wolf biting its tail.
Date: 1967
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Totem pole that was dedicated to King George 6th at the time due to ani-potlatching laws in Canada. The memorial Pole, now called the Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw pole was carved between 1936 and 1938 and was erected in 1938.
Date: 1967
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Located at the mouth of Knight Inlet, between the north east coast of Vancouver Island and the mainland, the Mamalilikala band have inhabited this site for centuries. Mimkwamlis was once the largest village on the coast and it is also where the government and First Nations met head to head in a crushing blow to potlatching in December 1921.
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Detail of a Bill Reid pole at the Haida Village at the Museum of Anthropology. At the centre of the complex are two Haida houses and six poles created between 1960 and 1962 by the late Haida artist Bill Reid and 'Namgis artist Doug Cranmer. The two cedar-plank houses are of great historical significance, and were likely the first traditional-style Haida dwellings to be built in the 20th century. 66-8-
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Thunderbird figure at base of totem pole. Hydaburg was established in 1911 by Haida people from three villages. In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) created Hydaburg Park, and several other similar parks in Southeast Alaska. CCC workers brought poles to these parks from other locations. The government then hired local Haida workers to restore these totems. When restoration was not possible, replicas were carved. Twenty-one poles were brought to Hydaburg, five of which were able…
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Figure at the base of a totem.
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Base of the Raven Totem Pole, Chief Shake's family pole. It dignified a living son, and commemorates one dead. Erected in 1896, The pole stood for 82 years until falling down in a windstorm in 1978.
Date: 1968
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Pole attributed to Charlie James from the early 1940s. Detail of a bullhead, sculpin or cod above a man. The 'Namgis Burial Grounds at Alert Bay is an old native cemetery and one of the few remaining locations on the BC coast where totems remain undisturbed on their original site.