Date: 1910
Name(s): Emmons, George Thornton, 1852-1945
Description: The poles of Chief Gwaas Hlaam and Chief Gamlakyeltxw.The two poles on the left of the house illustrate the story of the Princess and the grub worm that originated on Kaien Island, where Prince Rupert now Stands. Along with the Hole-in-the-Sky or Hole-in-the-Ice pole, they have become iconic poles of Gitanyow, and have been re-carved and re-erected at the village. Fortunately, the original poles have been preserved.
Date: 1910
Name(s): Emmons, George Thornton, 1852-1945
Description: Looking through the row of totem poles at Gitanyow.
Date: 1927
Name(s): Smith, Harlan Ingersoll, 1872-1939
Description: On left, the Whole Being Pole. From house number five on the Gitlaxdzawk map (see Gitlaxdzawk_051). The Gnawing Beaver Pole of Sim'oogit Nieskadex is centre. Parts of Nieskadex house frame are still standing. This is House 4 on the Gitlaxdzawk map (see Gitlaxdzawk_051).
Date: 1910
Name(s): Emmons, George Thornton, 1852-1945
Description: Found in the lower village, these poles are named (left to right): Hat-of-Tsagyem-hanak, Snag-of-the-Sand-Bar, and Ladder-in-Steps.
Date: 1923
Name(s): Barbeau, Marius, 1883-1969
Description: Looking through the village from the furthest pole downriver, the Rainbow-Person, which is rarely captured in photographs due to its location. Note the poles with attachments at the top that are possibly to display banners or flags during potlatches.
Date: 1923
Name(s): Barbeau, Marius, 1883-1969
Description: Looking upriver from the centre of the lower village. The background is the bank on the opposite side of the Skeena River. Behind the house is the Snag-of-the-Sand-Bar pole. The plain pole is likely a Single-Fireweed pole, with what appears to be a weather vane at the top. The Great-Protruding-(Being)-from-the-Lake, Pole of Wawgaalaw', and Raven-War-Club are grouped in the centre of the photo with the Whole-Person or All-Men pole to the far right.
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Totem poles at Totem Bight near Ketchikan Alaska. The totems at Totem Bight were either salvaged or replicated from older poles that had decayed or become overgrown at their original locations in Alaskan Native villages. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) created the park at Totem Bight, and several other similar parks in Southeast Alaska. CCC workers brought poles to these parks from other locations. The government then hired local workers to restore the totems. When restoration was not…
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Haida Village at the Museum of Anthropology. At the centre of the complex are two Haida houses and six poles created between 1960 and 1962 by the late Haida artist Bill Reid and 'Namgis artist Doug Cranmer. The two cedar-plank houses are of great historical significance, and were likely the first traditional-style Haida dwellings to be built in the 20th century. 66-9-
Date: 1967
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Totem pole that was subversivley dedicated to King George 6th due to ani-potlatching laws in Canada at the time it was raised. The memorial Pole, now called the Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw pole was carved between 1936 and 1938 and was erected in 1938.
Description: Shaman's charm carved from bone, with bear as central lower figure with humanoid head above. Amongst a shaman's bone necklace adorned with other charms.
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Various poles at Klawock. Carved figures on the poles include a human or ancestor figure as well as bears, and a frog. The original totem poles were carved many years ago at a site on nearby Tuxecan Island where a large Tlingit settlement once existed. Later, around the 1930s, copies of those totems were re-carved by unemployed master boat builders in Klawock through the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a public work relief program.
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Totem poles at Totem Bight near Ketchikan Alaska. The totems at Totem Bight were either salvaged or replicated from older poles that had decayed or become overgrown at their original locations in Alaskan Native villages. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) created the park at Totem Bight, and several other similar parks in Southeast Alaska. CCC workers brought poles to these parks from other locations. The government then hired local workers to restore the totems. When restoration was not…
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Totem poles at Totem Bight near Ketchikan Alaska. The totems at Totem Bight were either salvaged or replicated from older poles that had decayed or become overgrown at their original locations in Alaskan Native villages. 66-9-
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: View of the old village site from the beach
Date: 1966
Name(s): De Menil, Adelaide
Description: Totems arranged at Hydaburg Park. Hydaburg was established in 1911 by Haida people from three villages. In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) created Hydaburg Park, and several other similar parks in Southeast Alaska. CCC workers brought poles to these parks from other locations. The government then hired local Haida workers to restore these totems. When restoration was not possible, replicas were carved. Twenty-one poles were brought to Hydaburg, five of which were able to be…